Before starting the Cleanse Program, here are some recommended changes that will get your body ready for the Cleanse.
- First step: setting the intention and focusing on the benefits of the Cleanse. Visualize a healthier you at the end of the cleanse, with more energy, less pounds, better sleep, less bloating, healthier skin
- Try to plan for a lighter schedule for at least the first 4 days of the Cleanse
- Exercise: you can continue exercising, but you might need to decrease the intensity of your exercise, especially in the beginning of the Cleanse. If you have not been exercising regularly, consider starting to walk 30 minutes per day.
- Good stress management is essential for a successful Cleanse. If you have been under a lot of stress lately, I suggest that you consider taking a yoga or meditation class, or reading a book like “Mindfulness – An Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World”.
- Sleep: try to go to bed and to get up at the same time every day. Every hour of sleep before midnight is worth 2 hours after midnight. We recommend between 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
Suggestions for dietary changes:
- Clean your pantry of highly processed foods, or foods that are low in nutrients. Replace them with whole foods.
- Transition to organic foods, especially organic meat and dairy, wild fish, grass fed beef
- Replace milk with a milk substitute like rice, almond or coconut milk
- Start cutting back on sugar, caffeine and alcohol
- Increase vegetables, especially green vegetables. Eat a few servings per day raw or lightly steamed
- Consider replacing a meal or snack with a smoothie
- Avoid overcooking, charbroiling meat or browning your eggs
- Replace white rice with brown rice
- Use just whole grains, try to decrease gluten/wheat intake of possible (quinoa is one of my favorites)
- Replace roasted nuts with raw nuts (to avoid oxidation). My favorites are almonds, walnuts and Brazil nuts (a great source of selenium).
- Increase your water intake. Aim for drinking the equivalent of half your body weight in ounces of filtered water every day.
- No sodas; some raw/fresh juices and herbal teas are OK
To attain optimal function of your elimination systems:
- Digestive health: one essential requirement during a Cleanse program is regular elimination. Consider increasing your fiber intake. You can add 2 tablespoons of grounded flax/chia/sunflower seeds to your breakfast or daily smoothie.
- Take at least 100 deep breaths per day
- To increase circulation start dry skin brushing and consider castor oil packs
- Dry Skin Brushing: to help stimulate lymphatic circulation, thoroughly brush all of your skin, using short, very light, frequent strokes toward the heart for 45 – 60 seconds. It is best to do this on dry skin before bed. Use a vegetable fiber brush, natural sponge or loofah sponge.