These are a few links and resources that you might find helpful. This information is frequently updated, so check back.
- Washington toxic coalition
- Environmental working group – A site with lots of valuable information; for example, the shopper’s guide to content of pesticides for fresh produce, or the Cosmetic Safety Database, which includes information about baby care products.
Breastfeeding and other parenting resources
- Spokane Mindful Mamas
- Wholesome baby foods – A site that has lots of information about making your own baby foods and introducing them to your child.
Non-Toxic Baby Bottles: Plastics that contain the numbers 3, 6 and 7 may be harmful. 1, 2, 4, 5 are believed to be safer. Glass is a good alternative. Replace plastic nipples with clear silicone.
General advice on pediatric health issues
- KidsHealth.org – A reasonable and comprehensive list of pediatric health topics and advice. Does your child have a cough? Do you think they might have an ear infection? You can look it up here before calling your doctor.
- Pediatric Advisor Index – More advice on common pediatric issues
- http://www.teengrowth.com – Teen oriented health information
- The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Complementary and Integrative Medicine (SOCIM)
- The Institute of Functional Medicine
- National Center for Homeopathy
- Washington State Homeopathic Association
- Car-safety.org – Lots of info on car safety and safe car seats – http://car-safety.org/
- HealthyToys.org – Information on which toys on the market are safe and which aren’t
- Toy Recalls – Complete list of toy recalls at the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Books on Holistic and Natural Medicine for children
- An Encyclopedia of Natural Healing for Children and Infants – Mary Bove, ND
- Smart Medicine For a Healthier Child – Janet Zand, ND, Lac and Robert Roundtree, MD
- Please Don’t label my child - Scott Shanon MD
- The Holistic Pediatrician – Kathi J. Kemper, MD, MPH
- Digestive Wellness for Children – Elizabeth Lipski, PhD, CCN